“No woman shall be subjected to sexual harassment at any workplace.” Section 3(1) of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 In 2013, the Government of India notified the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act. Consistent with the Vishaka judgment, the Act aspires to ensure women’s right to workplace equality, free from sexual harassment.
Generally workplace sexual harassment refers to two common forms of Inappropriate Behaviour:
• Quid Pro Quo (literally ‘this for that’)
- Implied or explicit promise of preferential/detrimental treatment in employment
- Implied or express threat about her present or future employment status
• Hostile Work Environment
- Creating a hostile, intimidating or an offensive work environment
- Humiliating treatment likely to affect her health or safety